10.02.2008

First Day of the Month

It's officially been one month (from yesterday) since I bought my last book. On the first day of every month I like to go into the bookstore and buy a book that I would actually like to read, NOT something my professors are convinced to thrust down my throat and inevitably make me hate forever. Today, I bought, "Speaker For the Dead" by Orson Scott Card. I've heard it's good, if you haven't read it. DO.
I don't get nearly enough time to read as much as I would like to. When I was younger, I was a little speed reader and I couldn't wait to get my hands on every book within reach. Unfortunately, college has slowed my progress on when and what I can read, so last year I started buying a book on the first day of every month, determined to read at least one book a month for my own entertainment. It's been working out quite nicely. My library is slowly getting built up-I've always wanted a room dedicated just for books. It would be upstairs in the house with a big bay window and a window seat taking up the entire outside wall facing the mountains. That would be surrounded by floor to ceiling bookshelves on all of the other walls with a rolling ladder to get the books down (let's be honest, being short has it's perks, you get cool ladders). A fireplace would be situated in an alcove in the corner of the room with enormous red armcharis to sink into. My small, waist high bookshelves and dinky window in my little attic room will have to suffice for now.
Old classics I'd love to have...

Sort of what I want... endless bookshelves (and a really cool ladder...)

3 comments:

ktln said...

I love your amazing ability to describe the perfect book-room. A lot of reminded me of a scene from Beauty and the Beast. :)

ktln said...

Sorry, I forgot to ask in my first comment, but what book did you buy?

Jay said...

Thanks Kate! i got "speaker for the dead." It's the sequel to "enders game" by orson scott card. You should read 'em if you haven't. :)