3.25.2009

Go Green

Everything and I mean everything in Oregon is green. You know the song, "It's Not Easy Being Green" by Kermit the Frog? Well, apparently for Oregon, being green is extremely easy. Beginning with the leafy green treetops traveling the length of the moss encrusted bark finishing with the grass covered roots as they disappear into the ground. Everywhere you go it's green, green, and more green. My mind was going into green shock. As much as I love green, I was glad to finally be back in Utah where God generously used a full pallette of colors around the state. Don't get me wrong though, Oregon is a beautiful state to visit! It was a much needed vacation from school and some great sister bonding time! The trip itinerary consisted of...

Day 1

Goodbye to Mom and Grandma at the airport
(Misty's first plane ride-she, of course, loved it. It was NOT my first time, but I still freak out because I hate flying.)
Picking up our fancy schmany Chevy Malibu from the Rental Place

Finding our way through the one-way streets to our hotel for the first night-The Aloft.
(and rescuing Codi from insanity of her week conference for work)
Day 2
Multnomah (yes, that's how you spell it) Falls. Gorgeous, wet, and you guessed it-Green!

Multnomah Falls Gift Shop where we picked up some sweet awesome souvenirs for the parents and for ourselves, of course!

Waiting for Misty to get off the phone...

My favorite falls; it really looked like a horsetail coming out of the rock!

The Dalles (where they higher/lower the water for ships on the river) we crossed the bridge so we could say we'd gone to Washington, then crossed right back over into Oregon.
Day 3

Seaside! The word "beach" means that no matter what the weather, you HAVE to take off your shoes and socks and run in the waves.
It's hard to tell, but my toes are bright red and numb from the freezing Pacific Ocean water.

Visitor center at "The Column"
(it really was just that... a column)

Look close, you can see the pictures and a story is told around the entire column.

Day 4

The Portland temple! The spires stick out from behind a vast array of pine trees and you can sneak a peek of Captain Moroni standing tall and blowing his trumpet from certain spots on the freeway.

Day 5 (Homeward Bound!)
Met an older gentleman on the plane ride home who was on his way to Grand Junction. He was this amazing architect and traveled the country for his company. When the stewardess came down the aisle we both couldn't decide between the airline peanuts or the cookies. He got the peanuts, I got the cookies. We ended up halfing them and sharing with each other. He helped me out with my American Lit. homework and I sat and listened to his presentation about budgets, stats, and the logistics of running a company. Definitely an entertaining 2 hours of flight time (all the while the guy next to the window fell asleep before the plane even took off! If you're going to hog the window seat, you'd think you'd stay awake long enough to enjoy looking out it...)

The plane landed. No crash landing. I was alive. But... we were welcomed by a blanket of snow on the airport ground and swirls of snowflakes around our heads as we headed to the baggage claim area. A girl just can't seem to get a break! At least it's snow and not rain... right? Ha!

All in all a great vacation, great company, great memories! Thank you Big Green Oregon!

7 comments:

FamiLee said...

I love your beach shot...you look so relaxed! My sister lives in Oregon...it is gorgeous!

Tacie Hoffman said...

I love Oregon! (I had a "sheltered" vacation...)

And I like that fact that the nice man on your plane ride was an architect... :) I hope you had fun!

ktln said...

I'm SO happy that you got to experience Oregon! It is green. And, yes you guessed it, that is one of the many reasons why I love it so freakin' much! And about the red toes - that just comes with the coast. After they go completely numb you just can't feel 'em and it's all good...bring on the wave-frolicking! I hope you enjoyed breathing in the incredible Oregon coast air too, because that's gotta be one of the very best parts.

Sounds like you had an amazing time - and I wanna hear more about it soon! :)

Steven & Adrienne said...

Sounds like you had a great vacation, it looks beautiful. It is always nice just to get away for a few days to get a break from all of your daily tasks. And wow, what an awesome guy to sit by to help you with your stuff.

DaMel said...

im soo jealous!!! i wish i was with you guys!!! I so need to spend more time with you gusys for "sisterly" bonding.... mhmm... u guys are more closer than me.. so definel y need more time with u guys!

Stephanie said...

What an amazing trip! I bet you and your sisters had a ball! I bet your mom wishes she could have gone with you!

Rachel Doyle said...

Sounds like so much fun -- we have been wanting to go up to the N. West for awhile -- but haven't made it -- now your blog really makes me want to go.