3.12.2009

Rock On

We've all seen the Rocky Movie Series... For those of you who don't know-I love Rocky. I even have the Rocky theme song on my phone and I have the Rocky yell down to perfection. The only reason I'm telling you all of this? Because I happen to be having a final on ROCKS in exactly one week. Yep. ONE week. It's kind of coming quickly. And when Jamie gets stressed? She either goes for a run (it's been too cold) or she listens to great music like the Rocky theme song to build her up. What's funny about all of this? The fact that I'm listening to the Rocky theme song so I can take a final on ROCKS. How's that for happenstance? Anywho, I thought I'd give you a taste of what I've been up to for the past 5 hours...

This clear rock formation is actually a mineral called Calicite. It's nice to look at, but it also looks EXACTLY like...

HALITE!
Get this, this clear rock formation is a mineral also and the only way you can differentiate between calcite and halite is by licking Halite (which tastes like salt). So yes, I have been licking rocks. Who knew I'd actually have to ever do that for an actual grade?! It's kind of disgusting too, it's makes me wonder, Who else has licked this rock?



Let me introduce to you this bad boy named Gabbro. Cool name? Yup. It's an igneous rock that is cooled slowly inside of a volcano. However, it looks exactly like...


BASALT!
Basalt is also igneous and is cooled inside of the earth also. I'm sure you're dying to know how you tell these two apart? Basalt has the teeniest tiniest little air bubbles that you can barely call air bubbles.

So that's it. My life. For the next week. Rocks. Thought of the day? Who cares?

5 comments:

DaMel said...

Neat about the rocks... i had planend to take a geology class or osmething in high school or college bt never did... thats aweosme and good luck on your final jamie.. love you sis!

Steven & Adrienne said...

That brings back memories to me and having to do that at the Y. I hated licking the rock too because I knew everyone else had licked it in my class, and classes before me. Good luck with your studies and oh we need to watch Rocky again sometime.

FamiLee said...

I think YOU rock! LOL.

Thad and Julie said...

Exactly WHAT are you studying? I'm glad I didn't have to lick the rock. Considering you did, I bet you are too! ;p

The Whatcotts said...

Glad it's you and not me, that's all I'm gonna say.